Sunday, March 22, 2020

Love in the Time of Covid-19...

as we move in slow motion through a new normal...or abnormal...I am flooded with thoughts...things I want to write...poetry I'd like to create...but it is quickly consumed by the barrage of news seeping in at all times...life as we now know it has in a sense become a series of book titles...catch-22...the sound and the fury...brave new world...the plague...oh, no...sounds like a pitch for another lame network show...Seinfeld!...am I Jerry or George?...but the book titles...it was that moment last week as we descended into the rabbit hole that I thought of this book title...is covid our cholera?...and will my mind and these fingers ever reach the genius of Gabriel Garcia Marquez?...I think not...after all, I did submit my latest poem to Rattle's weekly Poets Respond contest...and they didn't respond...so it's back to the keyboard...trying to give voice...and words...to all the feelings these harsh days..the fear...the anger...the love...and the hope struggling deep within...today is Stephen Sondheim's 90th birthday...I'm looking at the tickets on my desk for the revival of "Company"...end of April...and the reality with each new statistic is that those tickets are toast...but I came across this Sondheim quote today..."art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos"...yes it is...as I keep writing in the time of covid-19...

No comments:

Post a Comment