Sunday, July 28, 2013

into the great wide open...

the last days of july...the sun already setting a bit earlier...and as i emerge from the easy-bake oven that was the last few weeks i feel restless...trying to kickstart my creative juices...submitting a new manuscript to small poetry presses...hoping to avoid the self-publish route this time...deadlines...editing...all the while trying to keep writing...realizing i have been slacking...then forgiving myself...summer was meant for slacking...leave the angst for a biting cold january night...i am typing away next to my blogging companion...my 11-year-old tabby, donut...it's been a rough road for donut since his diagnosis of diabetes in march...he's looking a little weary and i am looking a little sleep-deprived...and yet, there he is next to me, purring away...not a care in the world...sometimes i think about driving down an endless road...the wind in my hair, the ocean to one side and pastel dunes to the other...and donut, my indoor kitty, next to me, not in a carrier...just sitting with the soft breeze all around...that little curve of a feline smile from the side...tom petty on the radio...all our worries a blur in the rear mirror...into the great wide open under them skies of blue...

No comments:

Post a Comment