Thursday, December 31, 2020

our lips are sealed...

 I waxed nostalgic and looked back at my thoughts a year ago...the awe and optimism...and puns of facing 2020...and here I am...year's end...looking forward to not looking back...deciding to put on some semi-real clothes...even if the celebration is in the living room...but there is one thing that definitely will complete this outfit tonight...lipstick...no mask means pulling out the cosmetic bag of various lip colors...gloss...matte...deep colors for dramatic flair...subdued neutrals begging for tanned skin...pencils for art...and suddenly my tired face will light up...those magical words of my Aunt Harriet in my head..."you have to wear lips, you never know who you'll run into"...well, I won't be running into anyone...but who cares...it is more than the lipstick...you all know the endless craving we have...the deep desire...to see mouths moving...laugh lines beckoning from the side of those mouths...and smiles...in all forms...from the grin to full teeth...and the glorious colors of lipstick...a brilliant mauve is calling my name tonight...before I face tomorrow...New Year's Day 2021...pale lips en mask...hoping we can toss those masks this year...and drown in a sea of smiles....

No comments:

Post a Comment