Friday, September 30, 2016

cause i gotta have faith...

it is that time of year again...baseball playoffs in the distance...football stats mounting...and brisket...rosh hashonah...days of awe...yom kippur...hours of atonement...they loom as summer ends...then fly by...but faith is that elusive feeling deep within...and i have to admit that i am green with envy when i see those so sure and steady in their belief...because for me it has always been much like the ocean...ebb and flow...rocky and tranquil...dark, then luminous...and so much emotion tied to memory...and family...and joyous dinners in tight places...and then to all who are gone...no longer at the table...i think ultimately, for me, my faith is not really within temple walls...although there is sweetness in prayer and peace in the silence...for me it is in the writing...and the determination to share memories...feelings...of what came before and where i wish we could be in this lifetime...and so i will grasp that this holy season...take it with me into the new year...wishing everyone reading l'shanah tovah...a sweet and happy new year...and yes, i really do want world peace...

1 comment:

  1. lovely. L'Shana Tovah to you and your family. This year we will host the Rosh Hashana dinner while Gary and family will host with Matt in Southern California and we will FaceTime and do our ritual prayers together. I just got back from Riga and this year, as I kindle the candles in my grandmothers candle sticks, I'll be thinking about what her life might have been like as she hosted the Rosh Hashana in Riga. I always heard about the "old country". Well now I've walked the streets of the "old country" and they have names and smells and sounds. Thanks for sharing your reflections. They seem very familiar.

    ReplyDelete