Wednesday, January 1, 2014

old lang's sign...

and so it is a cold, sunny New Year's morning...the quiet before a snowstorm...or not...depends on whether your weatherperson sees forecasts as "half empty" or "half full"...but anyway... it is always a time of year of some sort of reflection...and I got to thinking about that old New Year's tune, auld lang syne...for those of my generation, this song was always the background when the big ball dropped in Times Square and Dick Clark told us it was a New Year...or for others, it was those last few minutes in "The Poseidon Adventure" when Ernest Borgnine, Shelly Winters and Gene Hackman clasped hands smiling before the boat flipped and they climbed and yelled for two hours...this year I decided to research the lyrics...the words that no one knows and everyone mumbles through the alcohol haze at midnight...and I smiled...so simple, so beautiful...and it became clear...the texts, emails, phone calls, holiday cards...reaching out to old friends, and new ones...family near and far...hoping to close the distance, literal and figurative, in the New Year...hopeful before the reality of life swallows us whole again...like that tidal wave in "Poseidon"...and so I leave you some of the lovely words of Robert Burns...as I reach out to wish you all the best in 2014..."And there’s a hand my trusty friend ! And give me a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll take a right good-will draught, for auld lang syne."

No comments:

Post a Comment