Tuesday, September 17, 2024

free falling

most people my age who are still blessed to have parents in their lives, repeat one mantra to them at all times...don't fall, don't fall, don't fall...repercussions can be life altering...so there I was...Friday the 13th....enjoying lunch at a nice restaurant with my friend...we were laughing, having a "ladies who lunch moment"...as opposed to the daily "ladies who work, worry and schlep moment"...we got up to leave...and I, remembering my mantra...tucked in the 3,000 pound fairly ugly modern chair as I made my way around the table...at least that was the plan...apparently one leg of said chair was not tucked...challenged my right foot and sent me free falling forward to the ground...and most of me landed on my left knee...the same poor knee that has survived four, count 'em, arthroscopies...cortisone shots...and many rounds of PT over the last twenty years...the knee pronounced not replacement material...I felt panic and my lunch in my throat...thankfully, an employee gingerly got me into a chair, ice appeared from the kitchen...I was able to walk...made it to my car...my friend at my side...made it home...Advil and ice...later orthopedic urgent care...no breaks...a contusion...and I hope that is it...most of you know...you hold your breath after a fall like that...because the real damage is not always obvious...but I am hoping...bargaining with the man upstairs...it's been a shit year in many ways for this family...let this just be a bruised knee and ego...as the knee gives me the middle finger every morning...reminding me I am alive...reminding me to go through life...one step at a time...and watch the chairs...

No comments:

Post a Comment